Businesses and individuals are increasingly called upon to meet their present needs without jeopardizing the ability of future generations to meet their needs. With its headquarters in Portland, where sustainable business practices and life style choices thrive, Tonkon Torp is at the epicenter of sustainability, providing our clients with the tools to navigate this expanding, vital area.
Our interdisciplinary approach to sustainability draws on our knowledge and experience in real estate and land use, including environmental and natural resource practices; business and corporate finance; intellectual property; government relations and public policy; regulatory matters, including the energy, telecommunications and regulated industries practices; and tax, including incentives and credits. With our wide scope of sustainability knowledge, we regularly provide counsel in the following areas:
- Assisting clients in the siting, acquisition, permitting and financing of renewable energy facilities.
- Helping clients acquire, manage, and grow sustainable forests.
- Providing strategic counsel for clients launching or expanding businesses that produce or sell sustainable products, services and buildings.
- Providing advocacy and lobbying on sustainability issues for clients.
- Helping clients register for Benefit Company status, and advising them on their expanded fiduciary duty and documentation requirements.
Representative sustainability matters include:
- Negotiation and consummation of long-term ground leases for construction of an ethanol production and distribution facility for a renewable fuels marketer and producer.
- Negotiation and execution of eight wind energy leases for over 62,500 acres in Wyoming.
- Sale of a major wind energy project including all land related aspects of the transaction from title work and amendment to assignment of land rights to over 20 different landowners.
- Sale of timberland on the Olympic Peninsula to the Nature Conservancy.
- Purchase of timberland in Western Oregon for conservation-based sustainable management.
- Strategic counsel, including financings, trademark protection, general business advice for organic, health and wellness and fair trade products.
At Tonkon Torp our knowledge of sustainability comes from our practical experience as well as from our own commitment
to sustainability as a firm. Sustainability practices and policies are a core value at Tonkon Torp. We have established our own internal Sustainability Committee to guide the firm's commitment to sustainability and to increase our awareness of sustainability issues locally and globally.